- Mound - High residual topography, generally convex streamwise and transverse.
- Mound Transition - High residual topography transitioning to plane
- Saddle - Generally convex in the streamwise direction but planar transverse to stream. The user can choose to not include this form.
- Wall - High residal topography that is steep and planar
- Plane - Flat (i.e., neither convex nor concave)
- Trough - Generally concave transverse but planar in the streamwise direction.
- Bowl Transition - Concave streamwise and transverse but relatively shallower and transitioning to trough
- Bowl - Low residual topography Concave transverse and streamwise
Figure 1. Generalized topographic shape (top) and contour signature (bottom) for each of the main forms delineated by GUT